1895 L.B. Hinman, a local preacher from Orangevale, preached the first sermon in Fair Oaks. Rev. P.P. Hamilton was appointed as pastor to a circuit with Fair Oaks added to Folsom and Orangevale.
1897 Organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Fair Oaks.
1899 The Methodist Church, the first church built in Fair Oaks, was on the corner of Watkins Drive and Sacramento Street. It was dedicated on May 7, 1899 - debt-free - at a cost of $1,700. First called the Taylor Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, the name was soon changed to the Lathrop Memorial Church.
1901 Fair Oaks was taken from the Folsom and Orangevale circuit and made a separate charge.
1919 The church became a Federated Church with the Presbyterians. Persons of other denominational ties were received as associate members. Chartered on Oct. 1. The church was alternately served by a Methodist and a Presbyterian minister with a five year limit.
1952 The Federated Church of Methodists and Presbyterians was dissolved.
1954 An organizational meeting for a new Methodist Church was held at the George Potter home on January 24. On June 6, 1954 a charter service was held with 200 people present and 78 becoming charter members. The first Sunday School session was held on June 13. On June 27, the Reverend William H. Phillips preached his first sermon as pastor of the newly organized church. On July 4, the Methodist Youth Fellowship met with two persons present. The Methodist Men's Fellowship began on November 21 and received their charter on March 4, 1955. The five-acre site containing two houses was purchased for $23,700. The down payment of $10,000 was made possible through the efforts of the local people and a $5,000 grant from the California-Nevada Conference Board of Missions.
1955 The Junior Choir was organized on January 8, 1955. Ground was broken for the new church on October 2, with Bishop Donald H. Tippett presiding.
1956 First Boy Scout troop. Church library opened.
1957 March 10, 1957 consecration of the new worship and social hall with Bishop Tippett in charge. Educational annex added. Building obtained from McClellan Air Force Base; was used as the youth center. W. C. Eddy arrives as pastor.
1958 Parking lot cleared, graded and paved. Walk and steps completed in front of Fellowship Hall.
1959 June 28, ground breaking for a new parsonage. Part-time church secretary employed.
1960 Parsonage completed mostly with volunteer labor. First meeting of the couples club. J. Paul Coleman arrives as pastor.
1961 Part-time Educational Assistant hired.
1963 Consecration of educational building named in honor of George and Bea Potter. C. Edgar Manberg arrives as pastor.
1964 Formation of our Little Methodist School. Christian Adventurer (Junior High) group organized.
1965 Arnold R. Lewis arrives as pastor. 1966 First full-time secretary employed.
1968 The Methodist church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church become the United Methodist Church in the uniting conference held in Dallas, Texas.
1969 Mortgage burning ceremony for the Fellowship Hall. Carpeting of the sanctuary completed.
1970 Consecration of two new educational buildings, named in honor of the Rice and Davidson families
1972 H. Wesley Roloff arrives as pastor.
1973 Remodeling of Spencer Hall for improved office and meeting rooms. Purchase of upholstered chairs for the Sanctuary. Acquisition of the new Hammond X77 Organ with Leslie speaker system. Women's Society of Christian Service becomes United Methodist Women
1974 Launching of our Faith-Promise missionary outreach and support of Lois Schmidt in Nigeria, the Methodist Theological School in Sibu, Sarawak, and the Mustard Seed, Inc. work of Lillian Dickson in the Philippines
1978 Victor I. Matson, Jr. becomes pastor
1986 Steven G. Smith (now Steven Eatough-Smith) becomes pastor
1992 The congregation votes at its annual Church Conference to become a "Reconciling Congregation," welcoming gay men & lesbians into the congregation, "just as we welcome heterosexual persons." About 50 members were present for the vote; 48 voted in favor with 2 abstaining. In March, 1993, the Sacramento Bee publishes an article on the decision, titled "All God's Children".
1997 Marilyn Ericksen becomes pastor
2004 Kelly Love becomes pastor
2006 August. A group of Tongan families begin worshipping at Fair Oaks UMC. Many are new to the area. Discussion begins of offering a Tongan-language service.
2007 January. Tongan-language worship services begin on Sunday afternoons.
2011 Rev. Jeong Park appointed as pastor
2012 February. New Youth Group Ministry started up aka S.W.A.G. "Students Worshiping an Awesome God."
2012 March. New Fair Oaks UMC web site launched
More to come!